Saturday, March 24, 2007

Back to the best - the glorious Fore Rib of Beef

When it comes to roasting beef, I find only one cut will do these days, and is has to be rib. We can argue over whereabouts on the cow it comes from, but the combination of flavour and texture you get from this joint just leaves everything else in the shade. And it must be on the bone. Most people agree it has more flavour, and what else are you going to make your stock out of (you do make your own stock now don't you? :-).

Now my butcher only had a limited choice (as usual I give them no notice - well often I don't know what I want till I get there) so it was 2 ribs off some monster cow - 5.5kg of meat!


Now that's a big roasting pan but it only just fits. Nothing special here - just season well with lots of salt & black pepper. I go for Hugh F-W's recipes for roasting these days, so this fella went in for 30 mins at about 220°C and then down to 150°C for 9 mins per 500g, although I actually did mine for 90 minutes. Then half hour rest. To be honest it was still a bit overcooked for me - here's the beast once it had come out - note this is with the top half taken off already to make it easier to carve (the other half is in the foil wrapping):


And finally on the plate:

That's with my own recipe yorkshire puddings, beef dripping roasted potatoes, lightly boiled cabbage and steamed carrots. The carrots came out particularly well!

One day I'll share the yorkshire pudding recipe (if like me you like them eggy and with a good bit of squidy batter you'll love it), but I'm in a bit of a rush right now. I will try and share what I did with the leftovers though soon - that's worth a post in itself!

Update Christmas 2010: My Yorkshire Pudding Recipe

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats not a fore rib of beef thats the wing rib

Rich said...

Thanks for the feedback, but I assure you that is a Forerib. I have cooked Wing Rib as well, which I do think is an excellent roast as well. You can see videos of one those one over here, along with my horseradish crumpets:

https://picasaweb.google.com/117478890230640167662/WingRibOfBeefWithHorseradishCrumpets

(excuse the cat at the beginning, it's all a bit amateur I'm afraid!)

It's certainly true though that different ribs from different types of beef can look very different, so it can be hard sometimes to tell from a single picture what cut of beef it may be. Dexter, for example tend to be quite small and quite different in my experience.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails