Sunday, December 20, 2009

Wild Mushrooms & Milk - bitter flavour?

Not my usual post I know, but an unusual cooking disaster has prompted me to write a quick post hoping for some illumination. I have a question - can poaching certain mushrooms in milk create an unpalatable bitterness than will ruin a dish?

I have a dish that's long been a favourite - Cod & Crab Gratin - that also includes a fair quantity of mushrooms which are poached in milk before mixing with the fish and other ingredients. Since I'd had a successful mushroom foraging trip and collected a good amount of wood & field blewitts I used these, but the milk turned horribly acrid ruining the sauce. Never had anything like it - so if someone else out there can illuminate I'd appreciate it!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails