Friday, February 27, 2009

Pot Roast Guinea Fowl

Busy as ever cooking away - it's pizza quattro formaggio tonight, at least it will be shortly, but I just thought I'd put up a quick post about my Guinea Fowl.

Now I've not cooked guinea fowl for many years, and the Italian has never had it before, so when we spotted one at Cullompton Farmers market (second Saturday in the Month, as patronised by Prince Charles don't 'yer know - well once at least) we thought we'd give it a try. The lady running the stall said she preferred it to chicken (more flavour) and you know what, now that I've had it I can see what she means. Loads of meat on the thing too, more than you'd think given the size of it. Leftovers went on to make a fabulous stroganoff as well, which stretched for quite a few meals.

The pot roast itself was another wood burner affair, and as ever it's still learning time with that. I mis-timed how long it would take rather majestically which meant that the sticky rice I had in mind to go with it was ready half an hour early :-) Thank god Le Creuset stuff keeps the heat so well. The recipe was one from Sophie Grigson's Meat Cookery book (a good find that) which included lots of onions (courtesy of my Dad) which cooked down slowly to form this wonderful sticky sweet mash, plus lots of fresh thyme from the garden. I'll say one thing for the wood burner cooking, it's making me polish up my skills a bit when it comes to working out when something is cooked. You can't rely on any cook book when you're piling logs in to try and get the temperature right!


Mid way through cooking, so still well uncoooked

Suffice to say that it was so tasty that I completely forgot to take any pictures of the finished dish, that pot roasting is alive and well on my wood burner, and that guinea fowl will be making a welcome return to my kitchen very shortly.


A wider shot of the cooking

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails